Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 12:02:26 -0800
From:         roshea@pluto.scripps.edu (Ross O'Shea)
Subject:      What should I look for or avoid in 84 Westy?

Hi all. While trying to find the perfect '71 camper, I looked (out of curiosity) at some vanagon campers and was very impressed by the space and features of the newer interior, and also by the power of these compared with the aircooled variety. I'm now wondering about buying one of these, and want to ask for any specific good or bad points to look for in choosing one of these.

Are there significant differences between the 83.5, 84 and 85 models? Should I desperately try to find the extra money to get a later (86-) model? I read some reports of problems with the water pump and cooling system in the early wasserboxers - were these faults really a big problem, and were they fixed in later models? So many questions..... All help appreciated.

Ross