Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 16:49:22
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Re: What should I look for or avoid in 84 Westy?

>Are there significant differences between the 83.5, 84 and 85? >Should I desperately try to find the extra money to get a later >model? I read some reports of problems with the water pump and >cooling system in the early wasserboxers - were these faults >really a big problem, and were they fixed in later models?

85 came with a tach and a digital clock (also on the earlier Wolfsburg models, I believe, and maybe even the '84 GL). Also, the '85 GL usually had power steering and air, plus nicer fabric on the interior (the striped fabric on the '84 and earlier does not wear very well). Other than that, to my knowledge '83-85 are basically the same. I can't say much about the '86 up, since I've only had '85 back, but they did put in a 2.1L in '86 plus redesigned the cooling system. However, from the '86 up owners I have spoken to, I believe the major problem areas were not much improved. These problem areas include:

1) Cooling system. I would drive the van for about ten minutes, and then let it idle for a good 20 minutes and see if the temp guage goes much above 1/2 way. By now, the radiator should be a bit hot to the touch, and above the 1/2 way mark the fan on the radiator should come on. If the radiator is not warm, the coolant is not flowing properly. If the van overheats, see below.

2) Heads/head gaskets. A problem with all Vanagon years, I understand. If the van overheats once, or the coolant is not changed regularly, these can be a problem. Look carefully for signs of coolant around the heads (or any sort of aftermarket sealant applied around the heads). Look for signs of coolant in the exhaust (white smoke). If the van has a coolant leak or if the coolant is not flowing properly, it may have been overheated, and your heads or head gaskets may be damaged. If you need them, this is not a cheap repair. I have yet to buy a Vanagon wasserboxer that didn't either need head gaskets, or already have had them replaced.

3) Water pump. Many Vanagons I've looked at have had it replaced, or had leaks.

4) Steering rack. Look for excessive play. Again, many Vanagons I've looked at had this replaced before 100k miles, indicating a problem area.

There are probably other common problem areas, but I haven't run into them yet. In general, I have found the watercooled campers to be less reliable that the air cooled ones (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one!), and more difficult/expensive to repair. On the plus side, they sure are plush inside, have nicer amenities (like better heat, and a fridge that really works), have more power, and more room. I love camping in my '85, more than in my '77, but I miss my '77 when I have to pay for a part for the '85.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I will have an 83-1/2 Westy with 85,000 miles for sale very soon - just as soon as the head gaskets are replaced!

-Ron