Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 17:59:50 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: What should I look for or avoid in 84 Westy?

E EX>1) Cooling system. I would drive the van for about ten minutes, EX>and then let it idle for a good 20 minutes and see if the temp EX>guage goes much above 1/2 way. By now, the radiator should be a

Another great idea if available take her up some long hard grades climb them mountains and watch there for an overtaxed cooling system.

EX>There are probably other common problem areas, but I haven't run EX>into them yet. In general, I have found the watercooled campers to EX>be less reliable that the air cooled ones (I'm sure I'll get flamed EX>for this one!), and more difficult/expensive to repair. On the

Uh, price a T4 rebuild recently? But this is indeed often true by virtue of the greater number of systems on the water pumper. Adding a water cooling system and power steering and a/c add numerous costly problem areas associated with all those systems. The glory of air cooled is that all you generally got is that simplistic drivetrain. Not much on them so not much to fail.

X>better heat, and a fridge that really works), have more power, and EX>more room. I love camping in my '85, more than in my '77, but I EX>miss my '77 when I have to pay for a part for the '85.

Better fridge, certainly particularly than the midget thing us '77 on have. More power? not necessarily I would put the 1.9 and a late 2.0 air cooled a very even match. My '85 GL has new heads and generally a very strong engine, the '78 is not far off it and it is a camper with a tired 145k mile mill. The parents '77 camper is easily even with the '85 Vanagon being heavier and all even though not a camper and with no A/C. Indeed the 2.1 will generally blow both away with that 9:1 compression but there you introduce other problems. Indeed an EV will blow them all away and handle beautifully but $$$. Still all are great vehicles in their own ways. I love all of mine far more than I even love my Corrado and would rather drive a bus in the slow lane any day. Only car I have ever loved more than a bus was my Quantum Syncro but alas that is another thing all together.

John Vwbus@tcpbbs.com