Date:         Thu, 16 May 1996 08:21:08 GMT+1000
From:         David Yates <D.Yates@botany.uq.edu.au>
Subject:      South Africa, VW's

I returned a couple of days ago from Botswana and South Aftrica. Thought readers might be interested to know of the HUGE number of VW's I saw in the Johannesburg area. All the shuttle-busses from airport to hotels were 'Vanagon' types (Transporters, Caravelles etc). Large numbers of Jetta's, Cabriolets, Golfs etc etc). I didn't think there we so many VW's in the world - ESPECIALLY buses. That gave me great hope of being able to buy some parts that are hard to get in Australia second hand (almost no Vanagons wrecked here.).

On my return trip from Botswana I had 10 hrs to kill in J'burg so I talked and phoned around and took a taxi to Volkspares, a few km from the airport. I was looking forward to excess baggage full of spares. They had NOTHING at all of use for me, but a mountain of parts, old bugs and vans. Apparently, even with so many buses on the road,there are none in wreckers yards. The most helpful owner knew one recent van being wrecked in Pretoria, but none others in the country! I must say how impressed I was with the bus I travelled in for 15km from airport to hotel. It was a current model VW, and in such a different class to my 82 van. For what it's worth . . . . David Y

******************************************** Dr David Yates Botany Department The University of Queensland Brisbane, Qld, 4072 Australia phone +61 7 3365 2070 fax +61 7 3365 1699 WWW Page http://www.botany.uq.edu.au/