Date:         Wed, 15 May 1996 22:52:39 -0400
From:         Remuse@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Back on the road

>Haven't seen you on the list recently and wanted to let you know I'm >back on the road! After many nights of frustrating setbacks I finally >got the motor in Friday. I fine tuned everyting and cleaned it up >this weekend. The next trip will be Buses on the blue ridge MAy 31st. >If you are near Brevard that weekend it is just a bit above Brevard >near 276 and BRParkway. >C

Charles,

Thanks for checking. Glad to see that you are back on the road.

I've been inattentive lately both due to being busy and to planing a rebuild of sorts. You may recall I've got a #1 that is down about 40 from the other 3 and apparently headed south in a big hurry. I've finally taken the bait and plan to undertake the vw rite of passage by doing a top end rebuild.

There seemed to be a general concensus from the list that my "good" cylnders were too high in compression at 135 so in a possible case of overkill, I am doing new heads from Mark Stephens (with shims included to compensate for fly cutting) as well as a new bore kit from Nopi and odds and ends from JC Whitney(most importantly, Wilson's how to do it book).

It is my hope that getting this stuff right and getting to thoroughly clean the motor and oil cooler in particular will also solve my heat problem. I don't mind putting on an external oil cooler per se but I'd rather know that I first addressed the root of the problem. At the moment I've got a range of about 20 miles before the oil temp finds a home in the 240 to 250 range.

Anyway, I 'll start this in a week or so and I am tres phissed that I'll miss the Blue Ridge event since that is both gorgeous country and the only bus event of any significance that I'm aware of in this area.

BTW, Bob Hoover who sort of led (shamed) me down this path was rather on the money when he told me $1000 was a good expense target.

By CC to the list I am inviting any and all suggestions, advice, warnings etc. As a warm up, Can I get by with using ramps rather than stands on a Vanagon? Stands just look rickety to me but everything says to use them.

Thanks,

Weston