Date:         Thu, 16 May 96 13:17:21 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      Re: EGR on 1978 2.0L engine questions

Since I've installed a '78 engine in a '73 chassis, the State of California requires an inspection. ALL the smog equip. for a '78 has to be on the engine AND working AND correct emission levels. Money is no object. No waivers. Even if parts are obsolete.

Here's a summary of my test results for those that give a rat's ass. For those that don't just delete this message.

Maximum allowable amounts for '78 2.0L f.i. State of Calif (at idle) units=ppm HC 250 CO% 3.50

--------- 23Apr1996 Result: FAIL HC 243 CO% 0.50 CO2 9.1 O2 8.3 RPM 1067 Failed due to charcoal can hooked up backwards + EGR not functional

I swapped out the EGR valve and cleaned the plumbing. Added longer hose so charcoal cannister could hook up properly.

--------- 07May1996 Result: FAIL HC 252 CO% 0.58 CO2 12.0 O2 4.3 Failed due to EGR not functional

At this point I caved in and had a local shop replace the hollow catalytic converter. While they had it in their shop they looked into the EGR system (swapped the EGR valve). 250 bucks later...

--------- 16May1996 Result: PASS HC 19 CO% 0.01 CO2 14.7 O2 1.0

The state inspector issued a smog certificate ($7.75) and added a 3x5" sticker from the Bureau of Automotive Repair in the drivers door jamb. From now on it shall be tested and meet emission levels for a 1978 VW bus.

Thank GOD that's all behind me now. I could have had my old '73 1.7L engine rebuilt and pirated a smog certificate for less money and grief than what I've been through with the '78 2.0L

At least I won't have to drive looking over my shoulder 'cause I'm smog legal now!!! Whoopeee! <I think I almost wet myself>

Jack '73 Westfalia ('78 engine) Costa Mesa, CA