Date:         Thu, 16 May 96 18:33 CDT
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Even more on the Corvair engines...

In which Hooper goes to examine the eight Corvairs:

The cars are about 45 minutes from me in an area of North Mississippi that manages to be pretty in the spring, enabling me to gracefully overlook the tar-paper shacks. The Corvairs are scattered about and overgrown with grape vine and honeysuckle. These cars have been here for decades. Some of them are almost completley occluded by vigorous Magnolia State vegetation. Cripes, wouldja look at this mess? My cortex is thinking "poison oak," and my mammal brain is screaming "SNAKE BITE."

The condition of the cars varies from deplorable to appalling. Detailed notes:

Corvair #1--No engine or transmission. Completely stripped inside and out.

#2--"TURBO" medallion on deck lid. No engine or trans. Stripped. Sigh.

#3--No engine or transmission. Stripped except for Schlitz cans.

#4--There's an engine in here but I can't see much of anything because the engine compartment is completely filled with shredded leaves. I mean completely. Varmints. I poke around with a stick. Engine seems to be complete, single air cleaner. Extant fan belt. Two carbs.

Interior is mostly there. Clock shows 60250 miles. And something interesting: there's a lever on the dash marked P-N-D-2-1. On the dash! I thought it was the heater at first. Well, now. An automatic with a dash-mounted shift lever. This bears some thinking about...

#5--An engine, more shredded leaves. No fan belt. 2 carbs. Clock says 33180, she died young. Manual shift on floor.

#6--Engine. Fan belt. 2 carbs. 77225. Manual.

#7--Medallion on deck lid says "110". No engine or trans. Engine on ground beside car is missing carbs, intakes open to the rain. Valve covers still on, engine seems otherwise complete. Single intake on either side, and they don't look any bigger than the intakes on my 1600s. I doubt these could aspirate 110 horses. I have no way of knowing whether this engine came out of that car or even what that "110" means...

I lift the engine over, have a look at it. Almost perfectly rectangular, surprisingly compact. Doesn't look too corroded on from the outside, but I bet it's ruined inside...

#8--Engine. 2 carbs. No fan belt. I can't see the clock from where I am but I can see a dried-up snake carcass in the car. Big one. Can't see any shifter anywhere either. I am not putting my head in this car. Not today. We'll call it a standard.

The guy hovers over me while I look at car #8. Excited about the dead snake. Reminds me several times that this one is a four-door. Four-doors are rare, or he thinks they are. He knows perfectly well all I'm interested in are the drivetrains. If it's so rare, why's it out here going to ruin?

Not counting the engine that was on the ground, there are four of them. Three standards and an auto. Here's what we're gonna do, boys:

Nobody is going to pay the $350 he's asking for any of these cars, not even the ones that are reasonably complete. Even the best ones were moldy and thrashed, would need complete body-off restos, it's not worth it for an early Corvair hardtop. I think all we have to compete with is the shredder. Fifty bucks, *maybe*.

Tomorrow or the next day I'll call and offer him a pittance for the engines. If anybody wants transmissions let me know. I think I'm gonna take that auto. He'll wait as long as he can, but I can tell they need the cars disposed of because they're doing construction on the property right now. I expect he'll come around. If not, let them go to the shredder. The thought of crawling underneath one of these cars does not appeal to me one bit. It'd have to be a very good deal.

What's this about a ring gear? What does it take to make it run backwards?

--Ken 68 Westy, 71 Bus