Date:         Thu, 16 May 1996 18:53:15 -0500
From:         Nato Dean <natode19@ecity.net>
Subject:      Re: Engine surge

BANKS.PAUL@IBMMAIL Paul wrote: [82 Air Cooled Vanagon] specifically when he is running at higher rpms, the engine seems > to surge or kick out. The engine doesn't actually stop as he normally puts the > van in neutral and the engines purrs along. He says it is as if someone had > applied the brakes as he was accelerating. > > This problems usually occurs at highway speeds or when he is accelerating > quickly in first gear. Any ideas or comments.

Paul, I had this problem with my 1981 Westy Vanagon when I first bought it. It was the main reason I was able to purchase it for only $900 2 years ago. It took a little detective work but it turned out to be a bad ground on the chassis directly under the battery area. Every second or third time I drove the vehicle the ground was not good. To explain the "surging", "kick-out" or as I called it "cutting out" simply, at high RPMs the alternator was not putting out enough amps for the fuel injection gear. When the problem was occurring to my van, it would happen at high RPMs in any gear. I was able to continue driving by shifting sooner or by turning off all accessories (radio, lights, etc.). If it isn't happening every time he drives the vehicle- he can tell when it will happen. After starting the van turn on the battery meter light below the sink. It should be green at idle. Turn on the lights and radio. If the light goes to yellow or red you have a problem. Either your alternator isn't putting out enough current or like me, you have a bad ground somewhere. This is a low tech way of testing your charging system. Good luck - I hope it turns out to be as easy for him to fix the problem. Nathan 1974 Karmann Ghia Coupe (37,000 orig. mi) 1981 Westfalia Vanagon (2nd GEX Engine- 1800 mi) 1992 Jetta GL (1965 21 Window Deluxe Microbus - Project)