Date:         Fri, 17 May 96 08:11:19 -0400
From:         Dave Mancuso <Mancuso@etown.k12.pa.us>
Subject:      Brake light flickering--Should I be worried?

(note the cynical sarcasm in the subject line)

The brake light symptoms: 1. If the engine revs above 3000 rpm (and only after it's warmed up), the brake light will flicker dimly (more brightly as I rev higher). This is not tied to the vehicle's speed or rate of braking at all.

2. If I brake hard, I can get the light to come on and flicker brightly.

3. when I brake hard and it flickers, I hear a relay clicking away like mad. It's hard to tell from the driver's seat, but I swear that the sound is coming from under the driver's seat. Is there a brake relay there?

I haven't had a chance to look at the Bentley yet, but I suspect either a switch problem or an electrical problem. I'm also pulling the wheels this weekend to get ready for inspection,to look at changing the brakes, so I'll do some visual inspection then.

Oh yeah, I checked the brake fluid. It's up to Max, same as it's been for a year, when I had the fluid completely changed as part of routine maintenance. Oh yeah 2: There's no discernible change in braking ability--I seem to be able to brake as well as ever, and my brakes are pretty good.

What do you think?

--Dave

Dave Mancuso Mancuso@etown.k12.pa.us Mancuso@aol.com (Checked rarely)

"I guess we'll just have to burn that bridge when we get to it..."

'87 Westy (Kalypso)