Date:         Fri, 17 May 1996 09:27:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Terry Tan <terrytan@ritz.mordor.com>
Subject:      I am back

Hello fellas, Its been almost a year since I was on this list.

Are the experts like Tim Smith or Joel still hanging around?

You guys and of course not forgetting Marth Rubin are a group

of really dedicated people.

Finally got my '84 water-boxer ( I called it my "lemon") running

again. Worked on it off and on for nearly a year.

Did many changes to the vehicle. Replaced the rotted out t-joints

that connects the aux heater to the main coolant plumbing which runs

from the front to the rear. Could not believe that the VW folks

used ferrous materials instead of aluminium, copper or stainless steel.

I bet you 99% of water boxer owners must have sprung a coolant leak by the

time you hit 60,000 miles. If not better replace it or you could be stranded

and need to have your bus towed if the joint gives way.

I replaced mind with NAPA Zytel Fiber-glass reinforced T's designed for high

temperature use. The whole set including all stainless steel hose clips only

cost me $16.00.

I am also experimenting with the new formula Havoline phosphate free coolant

that the manufacturer claims has been designed for aluminium engines.

I had planned to use the environmentally safe Sierra but decided to use

Havoline instead. Why did I not use VW's antifreeze ? Did we all not use

it and resulted in severely pitted cylinder heads?

To think of it with so many of us experiencing such manufacturing defect

VW could have a potential class action suit against it if someone took the

intiative. TT