Date:         Fri, 17 May 1996 13:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@vcn.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Where's the gas heater go?

On Fri, 17 May 1996, dean c aukes wrote:

> Having recently gotten an Eberspacher BN-4 gas heater (thanks Jeff > Schneiter), I am now trying to find out the original installation location > and details for Opie, my '68 Crew Cab pickup. I think they went under the > rear seat on the drivers side. Has anyone ever seen one installed? Any > ideas on where I might find documents or manuals showing this installation?

The BN-4 standard installation location is on the left side (FIF) of the engine compartment, to the left of the engine. I installed a BN-4 in my 76 westy, and it kept Christa and I alive in -40 C temperatures in Eastern Canada on our 'round North America trip, but I don't trust those things enough to have it in a contained space inside the passenger compartment. No way. Freaks me out enough just to have it in the engine compartment. Mind you, the Eberspacher is as safe as gas heaters get--lots of fail-safes and over-heating switches.

To install, you'll need to cut a round hole in the floor of the engine compartment right where the battery tray would be if you had a battery on that side. Oh: if you've got aux batteries, I doubt they'd fit with the heater installed. That hole is for the heater exhaust to run through. Hopefully, you got that pipe from Jeff--it's the one with the wedge cut and plate on the end of it.

Wedge the heater into place with the big orange fan to the rear (FIF, again). There will be some rectangular-section ducting that will pass from the front of the heater, through the firewall, to the left of the fuel tank, and through the body into the passenger compartment. It enters the passenger compartment just above the left rear wheel wheel well, to the left of the rear seat. Not sure how you'd have to run it in the single cab. I'm sure there's a way to hook the whole thing into the existing heater box ducts, but maybe someone else knows how to do that. Be very, very careful cutting the holes for the ducting: remember, your fuel tank is just an inch or so away from your saw blade. Please: keep the sparks down and have a fire extinguisher handy. Heck, you might even want to pull the engine and fuel tank--having the space would make the job a lot easier anyway.

Joel had great fun cutting a big hole for the heater exhaust while I looked away and flinched at the sound of metal being cut away from my Westy pal. I don't have the stomach for that sort of thing. Joel and I also had a great time running back and forth across Tuscaloosa trying to get an exhaust pipe correctly fabricated.

I've got a manual on Eberspacher gas heaters (from Joel, actually). It's mostly for the BA-6 (the under-the-body model), but does have some diagrams for the BN-4 and some useful diagnostics for setting it up. Send me your address and I'll mail you a copy of it if you wish.

Oh, bench test it ON A BENCH well away from things that might be damaged by fire, explosion, high-speed projectiles, or atmospheric overpressures of 10x or more. Make sure it's working properly before you install it in Opie.

I'm glad you've finally got a heater--just in time for summer, too!

Tobin ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley VW Busses to Inuvik! ============= (604) 689-2660 www.chaco.com/~coyote/trek /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@vcn.bc.ca July 22-Aug 14 96 O| | putta JOIN US! '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles '76 VW Camper! (Mango)