Date:         Fri, 17 May 1996 17:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Seamus Padraic Ragan <spr9c@faraday.clas.virginia.edu>
Subject:      86' Rough running

I'm back to the list with troubles again. I posted a message last thursday about my van running rough after replacing the muffler. The van had been running smoothly before the muffler incident. I got some useful replies (thanks Joel and Mike) in regard to the how to fix it aspect of my post. Today i got the van back from the dealer, not as bad as it sounds. It cost me twenty dollars to have the engine specs set. They claim that everything else looked good. Unfortunately this was not the fix as it is running rough again, really rough now. Although acceleration is sluggish, it is not jumpy. It seems as though it is on the verge of shooting a banana out the tailpipe and then running fine (I do not expect that this will be the solution, however) Is it possible that they got it running pretty well with some new settings and that the engine is off again due to the O2 sensor sending bad info to the brain (Joel i probably should have replaced the O2 sensor as you suggested). Also, if it is the O2 sensor, do I also have to replace the cat??? I have also tried some other avenues. I added some dry gas just in case that was the culprit. I had a nearly full tank when the muffler went bad and haven't filled up since. The idle is steady, oddly enough, so i have ruled out the thermostat sender?? I have also checked for corroded grounds and other corrupted connections and everything looks ok. My plugs are relatively new (december), but maybe i should replace them anyway. I also have a new fuel filter/pump and the air flow harness device. I scanned the archives and found a lot of good info, but, alas, i am still back at square one.

If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the direction of a particulary useful archive i will be forever thankful (not to say that i am not already)

seamus

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Seamus Padraic Ragan ~ ~ University of Virginia ~ ~ Dept. of Chemistry ~ ~ email: ~ ~ spr9c@faraday.clas.virginia.edu ~ ~ Ph. lab: 804.924.1337 ~ ~ home: 804.293.5290 ~ ~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~