Date:         Sat, 18 May 1996 18:06:27 PDT
From:         Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Subject:      Re: Earl Scheib's RED (paint shop in Bay Area)

>>>Sglw@aol.com said: > thanks for the advice. I had my 62 bus painted by Earl Scheib in LA in 1972 > and it was great for about 5 years until I sold it. I now have a 70 colorado > red westy and am afeared that the red by earl scheib will fade. Anyone have > comments on Earl scheib's red. ????

All reds fade, as far as I know. It turns out to be extremely difficult to make a red pigment that is immune to fading in the sun. I think the best you can do is get a UV-blocking clearcoat over your paint.

When I had my Triumph painted by MAACO in Palo Alto, they offered this, but since I had chosen a deep blue I passed. That's the other option to prevent the red from fading -- chooose another color.

Incidentally, I'm pretty happy with the job MAACO did for me. I stripped the bumpers, badges, mirrors, windows and door handles off the car and took it over. They did a little bodywork I asked for and painted the car very nicely for about $600. Where I had left things on, they masked very carefully. If you choose them, be sure to examine the job carefully before you sign off and take the car home. My hood was covered with dust, which I pointed out and they cheerfully redid.

--berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center