Date:         Sat, 18 May 1996 23:16:55 -0400
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Oil cooler hose replacement

In a message dated 96-05-14 00:09:21 EDT, SCurtis269@aol.com writes:

> >So here is my question(s), Is 5 hours labor reasonable to do this repair or >did the dealer have $$ dancing in his head ? Has anyone done this repair >themselves, and if so how complicated is it ? I do have some basic tools >with me and could buy what I don't have. On bleeding the coolant system, How >difficult is this procedure ? I'm kind of paranoid about doing this. Have >heard lots of horror story's about bleeding the coolant systems on these >engines. > >

I would think this job can be done in less than three hours. Removing the cooler only requires removing the nut above the oil filter. Bleeding the cooling system should only take a 1/2 hour or so. Especially since it will not be completely emptied. In emergency, you can block off the hoses to the cooler. One side connects at the t-stat housing, and the other is on the water pump. Use bolts to block those two hoses. The 1.9 engines do not have this cooler at all. If you dirve under 60mph, the engine will hardly know it's missing

Dennis