Date:         Sat, 18 May 1996 23:17:02 -0400
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: compression to high?

In a message dated 96-05-16 14:38:47 EDT, eSowder@rfmd.com (Erick Sowder) writes:

>Someone wrote that 135 is high for compression and overkill? I had my >compression checked yesterday and it was 145, 142, 140 , 138 can't >remember the order but I thought high compression was good. Seems good >in by bus. I have shaved heads and Total Seal rings on my 74 westfalia >and with 40mm Dell carbs my 1.7 liter motor it will get up and go pretty >good! What is the deal? I am in digest mode so if someone wants to >e-mail me direct that would be great. ESOWDER@RFMD.COM >Also looking forward to the buses on the blue ridge event in Asheville >the end of May. I wish I could go to the other events but they are a >little to far. Thanks > >

If it does not knock and ping, do not worry about too much compression. Compression test results can vary due to gauge tolerances, cranking speed, etc. It is only really usefull when there is an obvious problem. Best method to monitor engine condition is a "leak down" test. This test will reveal the benifits of the total seal rings. With these rings and god tight valves, leakage should be around 5%. Typical engines can run as high as 30%. This reduced leakage keeps the oil from getting contaminated, heated by combustion gases, etc. I like these rings.

Dennis.