Date:         Sun, 19 May 1996 00:00:14 -0400
From:         Ddear@aol.com
Subject:      R-12 to R-134 Freon

Tim Marciniak wrote: tmarcini@execpc.com

>Just wondering if anyone on the list has any information on the refrigerant >changes (R-12 to R-134) that we all may be facing in the next 2 years or >so. Does VW have any conversion kits yet for the Vanagon, any mention of >what the cost might be? GM says their upgrades may be $500 to $600 while >Fords may run $1000 to $1200.

I lost the freon (R-12) charge in my 88GL and decided to recharge it with the R-134. I had an old vacume pump (the old high school demo kind purchased from a flea market) with which I evacuated the system. I made fittings to connect to the ports on the Vanagon system from pieces of hose that I had and common fittings that I bought at the auto parts store. Once evacuated, I put in 4 (48 oz) cans of the new R-134 and 2oz of compresser oil [USE SAFETY GLASSES!]. The manual calls for 50oz total. This was done with the engine running the air conditioner set to high. It works great - can't feel any difference in cooling power. Total cost = less than $50.

Gary - Balt. MD 88GL, 80Westy