Date:         Sun, 19 May 1996 00:48:26 -0400
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: How not to change your oil

In a message dated 96-05-18 08:50:52 EDT, sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com (Steven Johnson) writes:

> >I use Castrol 20w-50 exclusively in the late spring, summer and early fall. >I prefer the extra protection during the hot months. I use any cheap brand >20W-50 Kmart or Walmart or whoever has for sell during the cooler months. >Haven't had any trouble for 78K miles. > >I know Dennis H. is gonna have something to say about this...... :) > >

Yes I do! See previous post. My only real question, why use cheap stuff at all? Different Oil companies use different additive packages. When a decision is made as to what brand of oil you will use, you should stay with it. Although all SAE rated oils must be compatible(?), the different additives on a regular basis can cause deposit build ups (sludge, varnish, Ash etc) that can shorten the life of an engine. 20-50 is my choice for VW engines also. That is why i do not use Casrol Syntec. I tried the 5-50 in wifes rabbit. Although I observed no problems, the lower oil pressure told me I was getting less protection. I know this is not completely true but the wife's goal is 250K on that engine. We now have about 12K to go. By the way, for all you Diesel junkies, I use Castrol Super Fleet. Goes to much higher CD ratings than Gas engine oils including the synthetics. Outstanding product.

Dennis H.