Date:         Sun, 19 May 1996 09:48:41 -0400
From:         N12bl@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '78 Hydraulic Lifter Reassembly

I'm removing the lifters on my '78 while the engine is out for head work and new rings, rod bearings etc. One was was not pumping up before taking the engine out so figured I'd clean and bleed them all while I'm at it.

Started on the first one this AM, looked good, followed procedure in Haynes manual(assemble in oil, used 20w50). But... even after releasing the ball valve the socket will not move down to allow insertion of the retainer - I mean that baby is solid.

I used to work in airplane engines and with those lifters the ball was released through the bottom with the lifter assembled - no problem. I'm baffled here though. Oil too heavy? Did check a manual for one of my other vehicles(not VW) and it said to use 10w.

I'm sure I'm just missing something real simple here but could use some advice.

I thought my live would get easier finally having a VW with hydr. lifters but I'm not so sure after reading all this stuff lately on adjusting them. Solids look pretty good now!

Thanks for any info.