Date:         Sun, 19 May 1996 11:59:35 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      '62? standard bus (was 'Colour combinations for a '62 standard')

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has been posted as well.

Since yesterday's posting about the "peach" '62? standard I found while out exercising the new Yoko's on my Jetta, I have learned much. For example, I received a response asking if the posting was a "troll"...Hmm, thought I, maybe 'troll' is some form of nickname for Bricks with the 36bhp or 40bhp power(less) plants.... When later, after inquiring to the author of the email, I discovered that 'troll' implied that my posted find was suspect of being a mirage rather than an old Brick in a farmer's dooryard, I was rather shocked; though I can see the natural scepticism of the list towards postings of this nature.

To aid in verifying the facts, I gathered together a list of additional points to look for (thanks to Rusty VanBondo and Dieter Dworkin), and looked upon this as both a learning experience and an excuse to take the newly shod Jetta for another relaxing set of hairpin turns :-). This time the "old fellow" himself was home....he asked I straight off if I was the 'long-hair' that spoke to his daughter-in-law yesterday. He seemed very eager to talk about his brick and to let I crawl around the engine compartment. He confirmed that the colour was not "peach" but "salmon" (as Rusty VanBondo suggested in his email) and that he did purchase the bus new in '62 (though he couldn't remember if it was a '60, '61 or '62 model [he did imply that it was a 'leftover' on the dealer's lot])

At this time, I took out my check list and started hunting around. The bus does have an air intake (eyebrow) on the front of the cab, though it is different from that on my '67. When we got to the engine compartment, I was told that the power(less) plant was in fact a 40bhp and not a 36 and that fixture that looked like it was for a spare tyre (along with the generator) he had installed himself --they came from his old bus ..."Old bus? This thing is nearly 40yrs old what the hell could he mean by old bus." When I asked, he sent me off into a clump of trees behind the barn...about 50ft in was the remains of a bus I had only previously seen in pictures (and Mexico City). Wading out of the woods, I had more questions than when I went in...

The "old fellow" was obviously enjoying the entire event. He says that he gets one or two fellows a year that stop in to inquire about the brick in the yard and that he loves to see the expressions on their faces after they return from the woods behind the barn. Apparently, that carcass is why he bought the salmon bus that lured I into his drive in the first place. He had stayed in Europe after VE day and had brought the '52 bus back with the goal of using it to start a tour business for Americans coming to the Miramichi for Salmon fishing, but ended up using it as a family camper. In 1960/61 (he was unsure exactly which year) he had lent the bus to a family member who decided to re-fuel with the engine running. As the filler cap was in the engine compartment this proved to be a bad idea and the bus burnt. This is where the tyre rack [which he discovered after he installed it in the new bus that there was not enough room to get a tyre in past the engine] and the generator [it was a spare] came from. He also stated that if he had any idea back then that these old buses would become such a sought after commodity he would have never towed it into the woods...(Arrgh!)

So this explains the odd characteristics of this bus that lead some to believe I was posting a 'troll' to the list. In all the excitement of the event I forgot to get the vehicle number to pinpoint the exact year of this salmon brick (oh well another trip is needed). I did ask him if he was interested in selling to a good home, but he still wants to fix up the bus to go camping again one last summer. I offered to help him get it running in exchange for first opportunity to purchase when he does decide to sell....He said that he would think about it...:-)

So my new question is "How does one convince an old farmer to sell his bus?

Bugs & Things,

Roy