Date:         Sun, 19 May 1996 21:47:32 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Idiot Award (self)

this could ALSO be entitled 'How Not to Change Oil'

Changed oil on my Toyota(272K miles!) this morning. couldn't find my oil as we've just moved so i bought 4 qts. in town. was rushing to get back in town at noon to buy shingles for our damaged roof- wicked storms this weekend. never rush. never. anyway, i pulled the drain plug and did the filter thing. dang it. forgot to see if i had a drain plug gasket. found a copper one but they always seem to leak, put it in anyway. filled it up. #$%# plug is leaking despite demonic torque on it. drive in town, still rushing. pick up shingles and a fiber washer. get home and want to get working on the roof as soon as possible, oil is dripping out fast now. better change washers even tho engine is hot. i'm really smart so i get a baggy to protect my hand from the hot oil. actually i got two, one inside the other (i told you i was smart). get the fiber washer in place, al lready for the one-two-three drain plug|gasket swap. figgure i can hold the hot oil in with the baggies over my hand. faster faster dan, that roof needs you. pull the plug. oh, yeah- my car ramps are tucked away somewhere too. out comes scorching hot oil. the baggies laugh at me and wither into oblivion. i drop the drain plug into the oil pan followed by 4 quarts of new oil. the new fiber washer is still held in my free hand, awaiting its role like a faithful labrador retriever.

after fishing the drain plug out of the pan, installing the new washer, and with a calm despondence threading it into the pan i realize i don't have any more oil at home. i scour my garage, packed stem to stern with movings and find a case of Castrol synthetic 15-50 i was saving for a special evening with my Westy. begrugdingly, i pour $16 worth of oil into a car that will need an oil change in another 4 weeks.

as i was cleaning up and preparing to go up on the roof i lift up a box of roofing tools i'd used yesterday. underneath it was the case of 10-40 dino i was looking for all along.

at least the roof went well. :)

Never Rush. -dan