Date:         Mon, 20 May 1996 01:22:04 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: oil temp. gauge & sender 72-79 models

Sean writes:

>where should I locate the sender?

The best place I've found for accuracy is the oil sump plate just below the oil filler on the Type 4 style engines. Having owned a '73 and currently an '80 Vanagon I find that VDO provides an excellent diagram in the instructions included with the sneder for this location (VDO-323888, $14.95). Note that there are two (2) oil sump plates on this engine type - one in the center with a single cap nut holding it on, the other located just below the filler with two (2) 6mm bolts (10mm hex) holding it in place(This is the plate to mount the sender). Just pull the plate the next time ya have to change the oil, drill the hole specified in the instruction sheet, mount the sender, then re-mount the plate. Connect to the gauge, refill the case with oil and you're on yer way.

The only alternative to mounting the gauge in dash is to purchase a gauge mounting cup and mount it on top of the dash like I've done in my Vanagon. VDO's mounting cup is quite pricey in my opinion, so check around the FLAPS for an alternative. Another alternative is to remove the blank plate from the gauge hole to the right of the speedo and drill that out, mount the gauge and re-install. They do not make a 3 1/8" diameter oil temp gauge to completely fill the spot, bummer.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com