Date:         Mon, 20 May 1996 17:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:         sallad <sallad@nando.net>
Subject:      hissing tailpipe!?!

Hey Volks, I need some help. Because of my accident last week, we, my dad and I, replaced my tailpipe this weekend. I now have a new tail pipe(was able to steal it off my parts bus) and all seems to be well, except for a weird hissing noise that my dad can't seem to hear. It does not happen when I press the gas petal all the way down, or when I don't press it at all, only when I am pressing the petal a little bit. Then a really high pitched, hissing/squeal is coming from the back. My dad said that it was just the sound that the new tail pipe makes, but I think it is more, and he just didn't hear what I am talking about, even though it is pretty loud, maybe he is just going deaf or something. The other weird thing that happened was that twice I had trouble starting my car this afternoon, after it had been sitting in a parking lot. I'm not sure what is wrong. The new tail pipe is straight instead of bent and sticking out the side, and also unrusted but those are the only differences between it and the old one. Maybe there is more damage then I know of to my car, anyone have any ideas? If it helps, the school bus knocked my bumper loose(ripped it out of the screw holes) and twisted it down, took the rear side light off and broke off the tailpipe. It seemed to have hit my side, so I thought nothing was wrong with my engine, she didn't hit me rear on. Does this sound like the kind of sound that tailpipes make or a I just being paranoid? If you have any ideas what might be causing the hissing/squealing, please let me know. Dallas