Date:         Mon, 20 May 1996 22:32:06 -0600
From:         Chris Tucci <ctucci@nicoh.com>
Subject:      RE: 1985 Vanagon

Is $1,250 a good deal for a 1985 Vanagon w/ 115,000 miles? Is it too = good of a price, that is should I expect a major problem?

I have an '85 GL, and I paid around $3400, but it has a newly rebuilt = motor and clutch, and the interior is "schweeet". The book value was = around $3700.

One thing I did was take the vehicle to my local VW dealership before = finalizing the purchase. I basically offered them some bux to look it = over, and give me an assessment. When they blessed it, I included that = info in my decision. That might help you make yours, but...from my own = limited and recent experience, unless the CV joints have been replaced = or greased religiously about every 30k miles, I would think you should = save up the approx 200 a side for that job.

Being a typical used vehicle, I had to turn the rotors and drums, = probably replace left side CVs, flush and fill the coolant sys with = phosphate free antifreeze, replace back tires, thrust angle alignment, = and balance all wheels.

All of these steps were pretty much necessary, and provided the CV job = works out right, this puppy should be reasonably stable (given proper = maintenance, and staying in the green band on the tach) for years.

If the body and interior on your intended are in lovely shape, and you = have enough budget to start laying bux aside for the inevitable ( = probably ) engine rebuild and CV replacement, then if the dealer blesses = the vehicle, I would seriously consider it.

-=3DChris=3D-