Date:         Thu, 2 May 96 7:38:53 PDT
From:         Brian M. Miller <miller@spk.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: 81 maximum battery dimensions

Matthew writes....

i am wanting to put in a deep-cycle for music listening, etc. while camping, and would like to put it in as soon as i get the van back from the shop, where it has been for the past month. as i don't have access to it, does anybody know the maximum battery dimensions for fitting under the driver's seat? any brand preferrences?

thanks, matthew (81 adventurewagen)

I just recently faced the same problem and, near as I can tell, you are out of luck. The battery box is VERY small, only 7" tall. The ONLY battery which will fit under the front seat is a group 42, which is NOT available as a deep cycle; only as a conventional starter battery.

I posted a query on this list asking if anyone knew where to get a deep cycle battery which would fit and got no responses. The only "fix" is to get out the old cutting torch and deepen the battery box. For the moment, I just gave up and purchased a "conventional" group 42 battery. If all goes well with my '80 Westy (a recent acquisition) maybe next year I will perform the required surgery.

Brian '72 Westy '80 Westy