Date:         Tue, 21 May 1996 11:13:27 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Mid-Atlantic Camping Trip June 21-23

The proposal is to go to the Elizabeth Furnace Campground in George Washington National Forest near Strasburg VA, about ten miles from the intersection of Interstates 81 and 66.

This is at Massanutten Mountain, which rises up out of the floor of the Shenandoah Valley. There are lots of hiking trails, some leading to great views of the valley, streams, nearby caves to visit if we need to cool off, and Elizabeth Furnace itself, the site of an old iron mine. There will be a variety of things to do; families are encouraged to attend. We want to do a potluck group dinner Saturday night.

About 30 campsites are available, for $11 per nite. The place can fill up on Saturday night, but you can have up to eight people and two/three vehicles per site, so if we need to later arrivals can double up with the early birds.

For the Syncronauts, the nearby Peters Mill Run trail is open to 4x4 vehicles. This is about seven miles of varied trail, I am told it is not overly rugged and will serve as a good introduction for those who haven't been off-road before. Those without Syncros are welcome to hitch a ride with us to join in the fun. If you'd like to read more about some other off-road trails in the area we could also try, check out : http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/trails/locations/trailfrm.htm

Please e-mail me directly if you are (1) a go or (2) a possibility. Thanks.