Date:         Tue, 21 May 1996 12:33:22 -0600
From:         ehintz@mail.utexas.edu (Edmund A. Hintz)
Subject:      The Great Exchange

Hey now, Crawled under the bus last Friday AM for the usual valve adjustment, and had a rather rude surprise. Of the 3 bolts that bolt the case to the rear engine mount, 2 had sheared off, and the 3rd was bent-and the case had cracked around the thread insert. I guess curb jumping ain't such a hot idea. :-( Needless to say, the bug got me to work for the weekend.

So yesterday I did the big swap. Pulled the engines out of both, and swapped 'em. 5 hours start to finish-bug engines are a pain to pull. You see, the bug had a universal case, with 3 beautiful bolt holes just waiting to be used. Since we bought the bug in Feb or so, I've felt that it wasn't performing up to par. The swap made this very apperent. I put the bus engine in the bug (of course, I replaced the engine compartment seals first), took 'er out for a test drive. Let out the clutch and gave it gas just like always-and laid rubber on the cement! So now the bug is a real driver, and the bus is a real slug. It works out well this way however, as I'll have more opportunity to get the bug engine shipshape in the bus, and the wife has a zippy little reliable beetle.

Also, this puts the upright oil cooler in the bug, which doesn't work the engine as hard (doghouse in the bus now). Found a vacuum leak on the bug engine too, this may explain part of the running hot problems I've been having with it.

Peace, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Edmund A. "Eddie" Hintz **|** "You may say I'm a dreamer, Voice Major, UT Austin * | * But I'm not the only one... <ehintz@mail.utexas.edu> * /|\ * I hope someday you'll join us, '70 Primered Transporter */ | \* And the world will live as one. '73 Orange Super Beetle ***** Imagine." Web page: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~ehintz ------------------------------------------------------------------------