Date:         Tue, 21 May 1996 10:59:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@calweb.com>
Subject:      Re: Safari Windows

And BusBoys@aol.com thus wrote: > > I guess not. At least with Bus Boys Safaris you can close them at least 10 > times before you break the latches. (only kidding :) ) and at least the color > is the correct white the factory used. O well, what do you expect with hand > welded latch tabs instead of die spot welded tabs. All kidding aside, Steve > and Joe try to do a flattering imitation of our Safaris. I guess next time > spend a little extra and get 'em right.

Word on the street is the Wolfgang safaris are _nicer_ than the Bus Boys. I also hear the same thing about other gadgets, like the spindles and lowering kits. But thats hearsay...

Its not the latch _tabs_ that are the problem; its the taiwanese _latch_!

Fo everyone else's benefit, the latches are a modified vent wing latch, which essentially has the "back" cut off (so it doesn't form a U to go under the glass) and is drilled and tapped for 2 screws to hold it to the frame. The part of the latch that actually rotates is a godawful sloppy fit in the latch body. I don't see how they would hold a wing-window closed, much less a safari window.

To Wolfgang's credit, they didn't make the latch; they get them from a 3rd party, who doesn't seem to care. Make crappy latches, sure, but you sell more of them.

So, Jim, are you saying that your repro-safari latches are "The Bomb," fit tight in their bores, and won't snap off like peanut brittle? If thats the case, then I'll sign on for a set.

Wish I had a grand or so laying around, so I could step up to a set of NOS originals...

Its raining today, of course, which adds an extra dimension to this comedy. I was annoyed when my windsheilds _seeped_ before... Seeping would be pure luxury now...

Thom -- > Lawyer: one who calls a 137-page document a brief. Thom Fitzpatrick thom@calweb.com - http://www.calweb.com/~thom Keeper of the Barndoor Bus Page: http://www.calweb.com/~thom/barndoor.html