Date:         Tue, 21 May 1996 12:05:14 -0700
From:         dlytle@as.arizona.edu (Dyer Lytle)
Subject:      new westy tent, '66 progress

Hi all, just a few things,

Today I bought a Westfalia accessory tent (The Drive-Away model with floor) and it brings up a question about tent poles. Perhaps some of the people with tents have had a similar experience. The tent looks good and all the poles but one seem to be in reasonably good shape. That pole is one of the upper corner poles and is a little over-bent. That is, the pole naturally has a bend in it of about 60 degrees or so but this one is bent about 75 degrees and there is a bit of a crease in the underside and very small cracks on the outside edges. I need to straighten this and reinforce it. Has anyone had any experience doing this? What I though I would do would be to slowly bend it back to the normal angle, tapping the sides with a hammer to remove the crease, then weld the cracks closed and weld on a small, flat piece of metal for a brace inside the bend. (The poles seem to be steel since my magnet sticks to it.) Other observations so far: This is a well made, *heavy* tent.

Other things with the '66 project.

The used dual-port cylinder tin I bought and had sand-blasted showed a few cracks around the intake-manifold holes so I spent some time carefully welding them and grinding down the welds. This was made more difficult by the thinness of the metal. The metal in these things aren't terribly thick even when new and after a bit of rust and sand-blasting are even thinner. It was very easy to accidently poke holes in the metal even with the welder set at the lowest power. When I was done I painted them an attached them to the engine, they fit *much* better than the new aftermarket tin I had before. I assembled all the tin, except the fan shroud, on the engine and it fits and seals very well, should help keep this engine cool.

I also finished intalling the new rubber brake lines and did some re-wiring in the engine compartment as well as reinstalling all the wires and do-dads that I took out when I painted in there.

More later,

-Dyer

------------------------------ Dyer Lytle dlytle@as.arizona.edu http://as.arizona.edu/~dlytle HST NICMOS Project Steward Observatory University of Arizona ------------------------------