Date:         Tue, 21 May 1996 22:47:06 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Safari Windows

Hi Thom -

One of the first things I did when I came to Bus Boys a couple a years back was to find out why these latches were always breaking. Remember, I was a customer (and a supplier of parts & weatherstrip) to them for a number of years. The latch starts out in life as the 53-64 Bug or 56-67 Bus Vent Wing Latch. Anyway, the place BBI was purchasing the basic latch was from gawd-awful company in South America at a horrible price to begin with. The metal content was pure "shinola" so to speak. With the contacts I had, I knew of a better outfit that was the OE supplier in Brazil (that VAG buys only from for their stocks) that made a far superior latch and at a much better cost too. They were still made of pot-metal, but a better grade than the other crap. We also completely overhauled the very crude way the latch was modified for use on the Safaris as well. A big improvement, the defective rate dropped tremendously, but not enough for my satisfaction. Outa the blue I come across a package deal for original Parts Books, Servicve Manuals, etc., and lo and behold a copy of the Original VW Service Installation Bulletin for OE Safari Windows (which is safely put away in a safe here at the house :)). In reading and viewing the original pictures, I discovered VW had a similar problem with their own latches breaking and they presented a solution by stating that when closed, the window assembly should not crush the body (bulb) seal no more than half. If the seal is crushed to its fullest, there will be too much stress on the latch and it will break at the post. To insure that the (bulb) seal is crushed no more than half its height, you are to take pliers and slightly bend the striker tab either forward or backward slightly to relieve the tension as required. Of course, they don't say it, but I always recommend taking a cloth to the striker plate as not to mar the finish of the chrome. When discovering this, I re-wrote the complete instructions (which I'm mailing to you via snail mail) to include this little tid-bit of information. Our broken latch rate plummeted to less than 2% of all Safari sales (and separate latch sales) made for the last year and a half. And yes, I do inspect each one to make sure that they're not loose as the proverbial goose - if the basic latch is loose, I send 'em back because they won't stand up to being a vent latch, much less a Safari latch. Where Wolfgang is getting theirs I really don't know, but apparently they must be really shlocky. I'll be the first to say that my latches don't break - they're pot-metal. But I will say that the quality of the metal and the latch I do sell is far superior to what I had two years ago and I still back 'em up. We're working on making solid steel latches of the Wolfgang/Izzy/Bus Boys variety and will be available soon. We've just finished the solid steel posts and production on the bases to marry them up to the posts will happen this summer.

What's more Thom, I'll pay the freight for a full set (4) of latches.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com