Date:         Tue, 21 May 96 22:11 CDT
From:         khooper@wsp1.wspice.com (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      RE: towing boat

>>> Do FWD cars backing a trailer into the water, have this problem? If not, >>> why would a vanagon "fronting" a trailer into the water, have the >problem? >> >>Because I've been in rear engine vehicles that have lost traction when >>trying to go up a ramp forwards. And accelerating make the weight shift to >>the rear, taking weight off of the tires in front. If the tires in the >>front are the drive tires I'd think they would be more likely to lose >>traction. > >Well, whaddaya know-- I learn something new every day. This is the >first time I've heard of a rear-engine VW losing traction on *anything* >other than heavy snow or slick ice (been there, done both, wasn't happy). > >Anyone else ever been in a FWD vehicle that lost traction going forward >up a hill or ramp, towing or otherwise? I'm curious how common this is. >Perhaps the water on the ramp added to the problem, Bradley? I guess >anything's possible.

This is becoming surreal ;)

I do believe Brother Bradley originally said he'd be wary of backing a RWD up a ramp, because he thought it would lose traction. Then you asked whether a FWD would have this problem if it backed. Then Bradley asserted that it would because a RWD would lose traction when going uphill, forwards. Then you asked whether anyone else had had problems with a FWD going uphill forwards.

(!) Not just apples and oranges, but peaches besides, and all while being juggled...

All other things being equal, the powered end that is downhill would have better traction. That is, the RWD pushing uphill or the FWD backing uphill. In this instance, the traction would be multiplied or divided (RWD pushing or FWD pulling vs. RWD pulling or FWD pushing, respectively) by the weight of the trailer/boat on the downhill end, but would be mitigated if the bottom of the ramp was wet, as they usually are.

And all the paleo-poster wanted to know was whether he could dunk the engine in the water without expecting damage, to which the answer is "no." ;)