Date:         Tue, 21 May 1996 20:52:46 -0700 (MST)
From:         rusty vanbondo <vanbondo@primenet.com>
Subject:      Tent Poles (possible source)

YUP, I too am looking for poles for the remaining stand alone tent that I own. I sold a tent to Glen Buhlmann <gbuhlman@direct.ca> earlier this year and decided to include the "good" poles as part of that deal. The deal would have not been possible without them. I try to make a fair deal when dealing.

*Sad Story* I met up with a father and son team of part sellers at a local VW swap earlier this spring who had a '72 bus burn victim and said that they had the tent and poles as the lone remains. I was never able to get together with these folks after making several calls to them. I called toinght on a fluke to see if the items in question were still available. The sad news was that the father's junkyard owner brother "crushed the burnt bus without even looking inside of the burn victim. Guess where the tent and poles were!!! =((( The individual said that the bag was only slightly singed and the tent WAS in good condition. He didn't have a use for the tent "cuz we didn't have a bus anymore." Only choking and silence came from my end of the phone until I finally said thanks anyways. The junkyard uncle just thought it was "only" a VW. Major bummer.

*Possible Source(s)* On the same subject I noticed that a local Western US outdoor supplier "Popular Outdoor" had an awning gazebo thing on sale this week (through May 27th) that looked very similar to the Westy tent poles. I bought the thing and brought it home to set up. The overall dimensions were undersized and wouldn't work. The upside was that the (polyurethane/plastic) corner pieces would work in a pinch but the poles would all need to be replaced and the slip in plastic corners looked ready to fail on the third set up. I returned it and will continue pursuing options which are available through "Outdoor Exhibit~Flea Market" suppliers in the phone book. Specifically there is a source named "Hillco Shade Canopies" in Apple Valley, CA (619) 242-8218 who sell heavier duty poles and corner units at the Pomona, SanBernadino/National Orange and Victorville/SanBernadino swap meets. I think that the corner pieces that are included in their canopy kits would work great. All corners and poles are of the metal electrical conduit quality. The HillCo folks sell corner pieces and peak/center pieces separately or as a set. The corner pieces (Item# P3J) cost $3.95 ea. and the Center peak pieces (Item# P3E) cost $3.95 each. The kit of 4xP3J and 2xP3E costs $22.50. You need to find your own poles at the local hardware store or specify exact dimensions to the HillCo folks and pay the shipping. I would opt for the HomeDepot. I hope this helps someone. -ellis\