Date:         22 May 1996 11:34:31 +0100
From:         "Ben Gabel" <Ben.Gabel@uk.amgen.com>
Subject:      CV joint repacking-'85 West

Pat asked about how the outer end of a drive shaft comes off, compared to the inner end. If I understand correctly, the answer is:

there are identical bolts (six) holding the outer CV/axle assembly to the wheel bearing end. You need a ratchet driver and extension bar, with the correct spline driver for the bolt-heads.

Jack up the wheel in question, put in a safety stand, block the van wheels really well (check you cant push it off the stand), put ON the parking brake, then crawl under, with your feet towards the front of the van. Look where you see the drive shaft go into the wheel arm; use a penlight torch and you should be able to see a couple of bolt heads.

Push the rubber boot aside if necessary to see them, with wide boots the heads are hidden. Try not to trash the boot with the spline-driver but think if you want to replace it as a preventative measure, given that you're taking it apart anyways.

With the hand-brake on, undo the two bolts (you need the brake ON to resist the force of the wrench) that you have access to. It's a do-it-by-touch job really. Make sure you have the _correct_ spline driver 'cos it'll be hell if you strip the heads. Don't assume the PO has put the same type of bolt in every hole ;-)

Two Bolts out? find the washers! Get out, let off the hand brake, rotate the wheel a third-turn, then brake back on, wobble the van to check safety, go back under - you'll be able to get to the next two nuts.

continue this little routine until they're all out. It may require swearing loudly before it works, like all VW maintenance <g>. I prefer to undo the wheel end before the drivetrain end because it's all less likely to fall on your head.

Refitting is, as they say, the revese sequence to removal, but I like to line the wheel arm with clean newspaper so if it all falls apart as I'm fighting to line up the holes, it doesn't get dirt in my nice clean CV joint grease. Oh yes, try really hard not to lose the little dished lock-washers and locking plates - you don't always get new ones with a new CV boot.

caveat transporter, as they say. . . . ben with the shorter transporter.