Date:         Wed, 22 May 1996 08:52:43 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com>
Subject:      awnings, what I've learned

I've decided that with all the rainy camping I do in the Pacific NW, an awning would be a real nice addition to my Westfalia. I've been doing some research and thought I would share what I've learned with the list. I've found two awnings available to fit vans:

Norseman brand, Apollo model (10' is $355) A&E brand, Catalina 2500 model (10' is $339)

The Norseman awnings are made in Canada and are less available in the US than the A&E awnings. All the RV dealers around Seattle sell the A&E awnings. Interestingly, A&E is owned by Dometic Inc., the company that builds the Westfaila fridge. I've looked at their awnings and they seem to be pretty well constructed.

Both of these models are what are known as "box awnings." Everything, including the support arms, folds into a cylindrical aluminum housing. Brackets are available to mount the awnings on the drip rail (rain gutter) without drilling holes. They come in various sizes, generally from 7 - 12 feet wide and pull out from the van 6 - 7 feet. Seems to me that the 10 foot size is appropriate for a Vanagon Westfalia. The fabric is 13 oz. vinyl and comes in those accent colors that you see on RVs (blue, brown, burgendy, teal, etc.).

A&E awnings are available from Camping World at 800.626.5944 Norseman awnings are available from (? didn't get their name) at 602.834.1234

Harry Yates has a Norseman and is pleased with it. I haven't heard from anyone else on the list with awning experience. Anyone have any experience with the A&E awnings?

Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia 74 brick