Date:         Wed, 22 May 96 11:44 CDT
From:         Joel Danke <JDANKE@macc.wisc.edu>
Subject:      77 bus stalls, quits

Hi, again, people.

This question concerns a '77 bus, and its fuel injection system.

I'm having the intermittent problem with the following symptoms: At idle (sometimes), the engine will just quit. It may sputter briefly before stopping, then will not be able to immediately restart. After a minute or two (which seems like an eternity if traffic starts to back up), the bus will restart and run OK until the next episode. The same problem happens while driving.

I recently replaced the fuel filter, points and plugs. I've cleaned off all the electrical connections in the engine compartment and on the starter & solenoid, and checked that they were indeed connecting. I've checked that the vacuum hoses were all connected, and that the ends were not split and frayed.

The double relay seems to be getting current as indicated by the Bently manual. I checked the cylinder head temperature sended, and it seemed to give the correct resistance. However, I'm unsure whether I should measure the current from the harness to ground, or some other way. I've also adjusted the timing (note: when I rebuilt the engine I installed hydraulic lifters and pushrods, so they shouldn't need adjusting). I found a loose connector to terminal 9 on the intake air sensor, but that didn't solve the problem, though the engine died when I disconnected that wire. I saw that voltage to the injectors increased with engine rpm.

In the near future I will probe around in the air intake sensor, to make sure the flap is not hanging up, and recheck the two temperature senders. I will also construct a fuel pressure guage and replace all the vacuum hoses and (as soon as I locate bosch) install new spark plug wires.

Where else should I look, and where should I pay especially close attention?

Would faulty temperature senders cause the engine to lose power, rpms, and then quit? What else would cause the engine to completely stall, but run OK the rest of the time? I think the idle is a little rough, but not as bad as I've heard elsewhere. Boy, do these intermittent problems get to me. Still, I've learned a lot about how this FI works by experimenting with my VOM, and of course reading Bentley and Muir. It would be fun if it weren't my only car.

One other point of information: the problem happened three times Friday night, when the temperature was in the 90s. It ran fine on Monday when the temperature was in the 60s. Of course, this is a spurious relationship, because this problem happened earlier this spring in cooler weather.

Finally, does anybody know of a good parts or repair shop in Chicagoland? There's a place in Addison named Spencer's Home for Battered Bugs which sounds promising. Otherwise, I'll get in touch with Courtesy Auto in Madison, Wis. (which I highly recommend).

Thanks in advance!

joel danke

P.S. I'm on digest, so I'll be able to respond more effectively if CC'd. Thanks again!

jdanke@macc.wisc.edu