Date:         Fri, 24 May 1996 19:44:47 -0700
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      RE: Balls O' Fire (or Smoke curls to the left)

At 02:15 PM 5/24/96 -0500, Dwight Mattix (Dwight Mattix) wrote: >At 6:13 PM 5/24/96, Maher, Steve (SD-MS) wrote: >...But I had a '64 convert go voooofff, >>and burned up everything organic in the engine compartment before we >>clobbered it with a fire extinguisher. > >been there, done that (last december). except it was my 85GL. > Same here. An '82 diesel just a couple of months ago.(It's back on the road)

I had just puled into a parking lot and shut off the engine when the first thing I noticed was smoke from under the dash (to be explaned). While riping fuses out(step one for controlling what I belived to be a small electrical fire), I saw smoke coming from the engine vents. While removing the deck plate (engine cover? what is that thing called anyways?) the starter started turning and started the engine. Removing the deck I was greeted by real 'honest to god' flames. At this point the first thing I did (I know, i've already done a first thing, this is the secong first thing) was to grab a pair of wire cutters (it helps to have an organized tool box, which mine wasn't after looking for the wire cutters) and cut the wire (yes, reaching through the flames to do this) going to the starter booster solinoid (don't have a starter booster solinoid? good for you). This stoped the starter but not the engine.(oh, it's important to understand that I parked in netural) To stop the engine I cut the single wire leading to the top of the fuel injector pump ( all this time fuel was spurting into the fire via. burnt fuel return lines). To putt out the actual fire I ran into a restruant (they are required by law to have an fire extinguisher accessable) and grabed thier fire extinguisher (I did ask if I could use it first, but I didn't wait for them to answer, remember, FIRE!)and put out the fire. about three minunits the fire dept. got there, if I had waited for them the van would have ben a total loss, as it was, my father and I were able to limp it home apx. five hours (and a lot of work) later.

What I Belive caused the fire.

The cold start cable contacted the fuseable link that is mounted on the foreward engine bulkhead. This allowed a dead short from the battery through the cold start cable to the injector pump and the dash untill the cable melted at both ends the other troubles (engine starting and not turning off, ect.) were caused by shorts caused by the melting of various wireing harnesses.

I now use a push switch to energize a relay for the glow plugs, and I cary a fire extinguisher. I hope this will help someone avoid a loss.

Robert Crawford 82 diesel vanagon(flaminogin) 74 181 87 Turbodiesel Quantum