Date:         Sat, 25 May 1996 09:49:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:         tmarcini@execpc.com (Tim Marciniak)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon repair manuals-How Many?

>?? what fiche that VWOA sells? the repair manual? that's the same stuff as >the bentley book (at least, the one i got was ... and it was only $25 back >when). imho, the dealers don't use anything ... which is why they can't fix >the buses. :( > Joel,

When I was at my local VW dealer I picked up a form that requests the free service bulletins. On the back of that form is a paragraph with heading:

Service Information On Microfilm

(And it reads like this)

Volkswagen offers for sale all service bulletins covering model years 1985 to present on standard microfiche. Also available on microfiche are repair manuals and wiring diagrams. Prices for individual microfiche sets are listed in the latest index. When you order a one-year subscription for microfiche, you will receive a starter library consisting of all microfilmed repair manuals (beginning with 1980 model year), wiring diagrams (from 1982), and service bulletins (from 1985 to present). The current proce for a one year subscription including starter set is $85.00.

End of paragraph.

I will have to look at the latest index to see if I can figure exactly what you get for $85. I went dumpster diving at work and pulled out a microfiche reader from the trash so if I knew if this fiche from VW was any good I may take a chance on a one year subscription or order a manual on fiche. I will continue to look into this and let everyone know if its any good or just a duplication of whats already in book form.

Tim

Tim Marciniak tmarcini@execpc.com