Date:         2 May 1996 13:25:52 -0700
From:         "Kevin Nugent" <Kevin.Nugent@uchsc.edu>
Subject:      Re:  EV oil change

Subject: Time:11:33 AM OFFICE MEMO RE> EV oil change Date:5/2/96

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that had a VERY hard time changing the oil in my EV. I spent forever trying to get that filter off. Don't be afraid to get a socket on the end of the filter (and maybe a socket extension to give yourself a little more room to work). It can handle a fair amount of torque. Needless to say, I would replace the old filter with a similar one from VW. There isn't a whole lot of room up there to stick many oil filter removing gadgets. The advice ends there, the rest is MY EV oil change story. The names have been changed to protect the innocent...... The first time I changed the oil after I bought it I swear the filter was put on by Hercules. I am in the United Way Big Brother program and I thought my little "brother" would like to help me change the oil, kind of a good "guy thing", so I am under the car just yanking and pulling on this filter. Meanwhile Mike (the little brother) is waiting patiently for his job to come up. I wanted him to be the one to pull the drain plug, you know how it goes, as soon as it gets to a certain point the oil just gushes out, getting all over your hand (at least mine : ) Thought he might get a kick out of it, I know I think it's kind of funny.

Anyway for me, during the course of a repair there reaches a point where, if it is not going well, you (or at least I) suddenly lose all objectivity. I was going to get that damn filter off it is was the last thing I ever did. So here we are at Wal-Mart (all the FLAPS were closed) buying entire sets of sockets to get the one size that we need. So, many braker bars, whiz bang gadgets and alot of time later I finally got it off. The best part though was when Mike pulled the drain plug (I didn't tell him what would happen) and he got oil all over his hand (hee hee). Now, after my brief bought with man versus machine induced insanity I own every socket size and adaptor known to man, as well as enough breaker bars and oil filter gadgets to fill a barn!! But I WON, I WON!!!! Until next time........

Kevin '93 EV MV (with freshly changed oil) Bikes- '91 Gios (white, decked in Mavic) '92 Karagoz, built by a guy, Armen Karagoz, who worked for Leonard Zinn. One of three made (he has the other two). Yeah, I got one of those mountain bike thingy's too, a Bridgestone I think STEEL IS REAL!!