Date:         Mon, 27 May 1996 11:02:23 -0700
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      Re: Propane Vs. Electric refrigerators?

>We just have a westy icebox. Don't know if it's better than a fridge, but >certainly cheaper. I don't expect that finding ice to keep things cool >will be a problem. The only drawback to the icebox is that the ice itself >takes up space you could otherwise use for food (or beer--same thing). > >Tobin

My 72 camper came with an electric fridge, it would kill the house battery in about 1 1/2 hours (voltage limited @ 10.1 VDC), not good. I replaced it with a diode cooler. I think that Igloo has several models. By diode cooler I mean those coolers that are intended to plug into the cigerette lighter, I belive that they are sold under the description,"electric ice chest", or something similar. These us a small fraction of the current of a fridge. But, they do not freze. They keep food cool, not cold. I have mine wired derictly to a power bus in the camper (yes, I installed an in line fuse)an placed in the same space that the fridge was in. It's a little smaller than the fridge was on the sides (just the right size space for a folding chair). On a trip last June I bought eggs, milk, and butter in Sacramento Ca. and they were still food four days later in Ogden Ut. So I guess it worked but I will say that the cooler never felt 'cold'. Based in this sucess I have also installed one in my '82 Vanagon.

Robert Crawford '82 diesel vanagon(flaminugen) '87 Quantum TD '72 adventure camper(the boat) '74 181 (the phoenix)