Date:         Tue, 28 May 96 15:51:28 UT
From:         "Scott Allred" <Scott_Allred@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: CB Performance Fuel Injection system

Jeff Lorentzen wrote:

>Has anyone actually purchased and used a fuel injection system from CB >Performance for a VW type 1 or type 4? Either their CFI open circuit >system or the more expensive closed circuit system. > >I'm considering one but have yet to find anyone who has actually >bought and used one. I'd like to hear from anyone who has, good and >bad points. Any installation or setup problems? I know I'll have to >add larger gas line and a return line. I saw the article in either VW >Trends or Hot VW (don't remember which) but you know how those can be. > >I'm sure there are others out there who would like to hear. Please >also email any reply to alternate address below since my connection >can be erratic. > >

I have had on of CB Performances DFI systems installed on my engine (1835) for about a year now. It is based on GM's DFI system. The ECU comes from an Izusu (mounted under the rear seat on the drivers side) and most of the other parts (oxygen sensor, MAP sensor, etc.) are of GM origin. Installed it looks like dual Dellorto's. Cross throttle linkage, Dellorto manifolds with 2 Lucas injectors in each and 48mm throttle bodies topped off with Dellorto air cleaners. The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust header's collector. The larger gas line (1/2") comes with the kit. I removed the gas tank cover and pulled filler neck to tap and insert the return line. Both the return line and fuel line pass through the firewall with PVC fittings used as bushings.

It was, at the time, not an installation for an inexperienced or faint-of-heart mechanic. CB Performance was _very_ supportive at helping me getting it set up properly. This included an ECU exchange and many phone calls. Mine was the first bus installation they had done. The wiring harness is built to order.

It runs super strong. Mileage is about 17-18 around town 20-22 on the highway. And the best news is that, here in Nevada, smog checks are now a piece of cake. All in all I am very pleased with the set up.

-Scott '71 Westy, the Wayback Machine http://coyote.accessnv.com/wayback