Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 11:38:05 -0600
From:         Dieter Dworkin Muller <dworkin@village.org>
Subject:      Re: www.recalls, notices, service bulletins??

charles-giannone@hlp.com wrote: : http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov : [...] : I have cruised to this page and it was very informative for my Isuzu : and Nissan P/U but it didn't have anything for my 74 bug...maybe it : doesn't go back that far??

I did some searches of consumer complaints for various flavours of Volkswagen trucks (which all of the bus-oids qualify as). Lots of fires and fuel leaks, a couple of tire problems. Everything had a date of 1978, so I suspect the available data doesn't really go back much farther than that. That may also just be when the data was typed in, as there was no model year information reported.

For recalls, it found one for ``all models of 1966 Volkswagen'', involving thread failure in the windshield wiper fastener. The recall was issued in 1972.

The forms for the various search engines are a little annoying (you have to fill out three or four separate forms to do a search). From a web designer's point-of-view, this makes sense, as it speeds the loading of the pages (each form is built up based on what you entered in the previous form), but it's irritating as a user.

I couldn't search the Technical Service Bulletins, because something about their forms broke my (out-of-date) browser. They did mention that the only TSBs they had were safety-related, so things like peeling paint problems won't appear.

Their server appears to be under-powered -- it takes a long time to respond to forms submissions and such. This doesn't appear to be a network problem, because once the data starts flowing, it comes through quickly.

Given all that, they also claim to be revamping things soon, so maybe my caveats will be irrelevant in the near future.

Dworkin