Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 12:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: Rust in seams

>I am getting different opinions from body shops. I have rust >showing in some of the seams. One said he would repaint the rust >areas for $1200. Two others say its a waste of money, the rust >will reappear in 3 months. What is the opinion of my experts? tia

I agree with the two others. I've never even seen Rustoleum stop rust effectively. I've heard of chemicals that convert rust to something inactive, which sounds great if it works. I've never tried that.

My favorite trick, is to get some motor oil and a teeny paint brush. dab oil on the rust in the seam, and let it spread along the seam. It's messy-- you'll wind up with oil streaks coming from every seam you treat. Don't wash the bus for two days afterward, or let it get rained on if you cn avoid it.

Oil stops the rust COLD. I did this to a Datsun 610 in Minneapolis, and two years later the rust had gone no farther than when I bought it. Amaze your friends!

The bad news is, the oil wears off after several months, so it's a good idea to re-do this every 4-6 months or so. But you can buy a lot of 30W and teeny brushes for $1200. ______________________________________________________________________ _ ______________ ______//________ Steve Maher smaher@gi.com //__][__||____\\ /o _ | -| _ \ San Diego, CA 75461,1717 (o _-| _ o| `-(_)=======(_)---' '(_)-------(_)-' '66 Mustang Coupevertible '89 Son Sherwin '80 VW V6anagon w/well-oiled seams http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia

"There are plenty of jobs to be had-- I have three of them myself!" ----------------------------------------------------------------------