Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 17:40:18 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: ceramic caotings( was Re: The trans)

TB> I have been thinking more about the corrosion problem. If you ceramic TB>coat the heads where they generally corrode, will the corrosion just move on TB>to somewhere else. Could there be electrolosis at work here?

Hmmn, did I mention this twice before maybe? Sure as shootin corrosion has one nature and one nature only, that is electrochemical reaction. Yep it will likely move elsewhere.

The way it TB>works in boats is that you install a piece of zink in the outdrive or TB>transom of the boat. This a sacrificial plate. It just corrodes away and TB>everything else isn't bothered. I think they put zink plates in the cooling TB>systems of boats to keep corrosion from the exhaust manifolds (always a TB>problem) and other places the coolant touches. If we put a zink plate TB>somewhere in the coolant of the bus would that help?

Hmmn again like I said, this is real common, for body rust prevention as well, zinc or magnesium should work great, VW used zinc plates on the body of later cars. As I have some pure magnesium electrodes in the 4" x 4" x 15" size range, I'm going to bolt a few bits to the heads and body of the '85.

TB> Deisel trucks use different products in the coolant to keep corrosion TB>and rust away. My neighbor puts Norcool in his dump truck and when he TB>84 Vanagon he started useing it in there. He hasn't had the heads off TB>mi). I understand redline now has something on the market. I belive Bently TB>says the factory put something into the coolant. I think that is where I TB>read it. Anybody have any knowlage of additives?

Once again I talk only to myself, Redline Water Wetter is the product though this is for a different battle. Some believe the problem in big diesels is more of an erosion due to all the little bubbles on the surfaces in the water jacket carrying away metal, I figure it starts this way in the Vanagon then the electrolysis takes over. An interesting point to back this up is that Leonard at AVP was telling me once that in the 100's of Wasserboxer heads of various conditions they have seen, it always appears that the problem DOES NOT start at interfaces between the dissimilar materials like it should if initially electro- chemical in nature but rather away in the head off by itself and often the studs are not corroded either. As the electro-chemical corrosion is only going to happen between metals of different potential, if it does not start there, we must look for another reason. All big trucks to my understanding use such a product plus Redline claims reduced temps as well. Goes under $10 for the Redline.

On a related weird subject, are the tranny cases on Vans an aluminum/magnesium alloy? The 85's case is corroding away severly, particularly under the steel bolts, but all over something (magnesium?) is oxidizing and coming out of the case. I have seen old bug tranny cases like this but I mean this is bad, large chunks turning to white oxide and you can break em off. I'm looking for a replacement tranny on the side it looks so bad. Never seen it this bad on any bus tranny though they usually seem coated with oil, this relatively leak free box may succumb to structural failure the way it looks.

John