Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 18:36:14 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      BUGOUT Report

IT RAINED.

There isn't much else. Quite a few buses though not many nice splits as a rule a bunch of bays, cool for me a bay lover. One or two nice split campers, a '8? 2wd double cab. Lots of bugs, very few <10 ghias maybe 3 verts, 4-5 Things, a 412. Swap meet pretty poor a lot of junk IMHO. Went looking for a tent primarily. For unknown reason bought a mint BA-4 gas heater for $75 after looking all round the swap area for a tent. Only one was for earlier buses, orange and white striped, looked pretty beat and idiot was asking $450, yeah right. Got round to looking at the buses and a guy was just taking down the proper drive-away for a late 70's he had sitting by his Vanagon. Complete, clean, beautiful, he had just sold it for $275 to a guy that had asked him about it and as it really didn't fit the Vanagon he was tired of it. AAARHAAGH. I could have killed something. Right about that time it began to really put down the rain so I took off. MOFOCO, WCM, somebody selling Neuspeed for H20 freaks, a bunch of big vendors were there. Otherwise it was standard try to sift through the trash. Only T4 parts I saw were a set of 1700 pistons, cam, crank, and D-jetronic distributor from a 914. My luck I was looking for the one without the injection points. Still picked up the heater, 2 German engine mounts at $5 each and a front spare mount for $5 so not a total loss. I could have killed the guy for the tent though. Just my luck I guess. Also had to pass on an NOS VW rear hitch for early bays for $30, in the box just didn't think it would fit the late bay easily, and as I compared it to a guys '71 he became interested so I let him have it. Quite a few buses for sale, 2 deluxe splits, one real ragged, one OK. A '91 Syncro for $7500 with 118k, I picked up the guys card but lost it. Some weird buses present a real neat EV with 18" alloys and a bunch of ProjectZwo body and suspension mods. A EV camper that was not by Winnebago, Canadian in manufactur I think. A canadian '80s panel van and the afore mentioned vanagon truck. A spiltty firetruck in OK shape needed some work. A lot of FWD cars now days, place littered with show and go Corrado's of course DC is in general, a lot of GTI's and even a Fox wagon, had a stereo worth more than the fox easily. VW had a TDI stting there running, checked it out, figue they'll sell 1 or 2 in the US for the price, pretty neat though but hell Ford has had the DI truck for like 2 years haven't they? Took my picture in a Concept Crap mock up close as I'll ever get to one of them if indeed we ever see them. And got a free Driver's Wanted T-shirt for signing up for a VW Visa card, probably will be a neat momento of another failed VW add campaign.

An OK event I gues but IT REALLY RAINED.

John