Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 18:48:48 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: bug o' rama report

Micheal said: >it is the handle under the front widshield (i am preyty sure they had some >sort of iteration of that on the barndoors didn't they?). Commony referred >to the as the "oh shit" or "jesus" handle in accordance witht the language >that is usually spilled forth when one finds oneself in neeed of grabbing >it :)

thanks- now i get it. ( I think of them as dash grab handles. )

>i believe these handles were also seen on the inside of the bulkhead that >separates the pass from the drivers.

yes - behind the passenger seat there would be one. (except on panels) For a barndoor it is much longer, as the spare tire bulge is not in the way. i thnk they were dropped post barndoor, then became standard on the dash in 58 fo rthe micro bus. For all standard in mid 61.

and thom said: > do you mean by this that it has a smaller engine lid, and a big back hatch? > or the suspension is different. BD firetrucks have piano hinges on the > deck lid and hatch in the back.

Small engine lid, barndoor nose, ambulance hatch. - - -

if you look closely, you can tell that the engine hatch on a BD FT is made out of regular bd decklid. It is not a bd single cab type decklid. the 'ambulance' hatch is just as much a 'fire wagon' hatch. not only for ambulance.

at some point they decided it was a better set up, and when the new bus came out in 3/55 it had this rear end, along with improved cargo doors, and two wheel cylinders in each front wheel, etc.

does this make the opening hatch on post 3/55 buses an 'ambulance' hatch? (that opens the wrong way)