Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 22:43:40 -0500
From:         vwbus@TCPBBS.COM
Subject:      Re: Hoo Boy! (Was: Corrado Powered Westy Syncro -

JW>Hey all, JW> Wouldn't a Diesel Westy transmisson be geared way too low to implant a JW>Corrado motor? Make it work mighty hard. If not I'll put one in my JW>RADHAUS when the old diesel dies!

JW>Jim MIller JW>83 diesel westy RADHAUS

Well in fact it would at that in some ways in some ways not, yes it would still rev real high to go 65 mph, but boy you would get there quick, plus a typically chipped G60 revs to 6500, a tad bit past ye old diesel mark so although not great for mileage, you would not be really overtaxing the engine remarkably. 4th is usually a 0.85 overdrive but I'm not sure of the final on the diesel 4 spd, but still with the new redline and considering my Corrado does 3000+ for 70mph, 3500 for 65mph in a Bus would be an OK thing if you had plenty of power. The G60 BTW makes best power and torque from 3000-5500 rpm, aside from supercharger propganda, in reality you got to have her spooled up pretty high to get the power, and in that range particularly pulling from 3500-5000 or so its power is tremendous. It would be a very worthwhile effort IMHO, and in fact, my mechanic just took in a meticulous '82 diesel westy, with gas heater and a blown engine. HMMMN.

John