Date:         Wed, 29 May 1996 08:33:27 MST
From:         "Jacob Shaun Dustin" <DUSTINO@caedm.et.byu.edu>
Subject:      Help me ID Euro-Camper

I'm in the process of trying to track down the title of a breadloaf camper conversion that was apparently made in italy and germany. I have the option to buy, but the owner lives in Canada, and I wont purchase it unless I can junk the mostly fiberglass and bondo body (evidently held together by a good ganja tar binder, as evidenced by the smell inside). In the meantime, I'm curious to find out what I have.

The body style is what I recognize as a'72-79 US model (cassis # 224 xxxx xxx), but the engine is obviously a single port upright with a motorola alternator and a 009 (aftermarket) distributor, not to mention so much emissions gadgetry that at first I thought I was looking at a Chevy Citation (no offense, Steve. Thats really what it reminds me of). The cooling tin used is slick- - it totaly seals the T4 engine compartment around the T1 engine, and seems to bolt to stock T1 tin. The tranny looks like the beefier models on '72+ US busses. The pop- top is UGLY. It starts about two feet in back of the windscreen, and was made in Italy, acording to the name plate. There's a picture of a nekkid woman sealed in to the interior of the pop top with resin. It was either done at the factory, or by someone very good in fiberglass, and very lacking in taste. The outside has been painted with dark blue latex. The canvas is all good.

The camper setup is nice. All birch plywood, green & yellow plaid upholstery, stove and fridge, swing out table, and all the instructions are in German. I'm assuming it's Westfalia, but having never seen a Westy interior from the late '70s, how can I tell? It is in excellent condition.

The running gear is in ok shape, but according to the guy whose lot it's sitting on, the engine won't start. (He hasn't tried)

I'm going for it, but like I said, I'd like to find the title so I can pitch what I dont want when I'm done with it.

My questions are:

Any idea what I have?

Any ideas as to what year it might be?

Anybody want to buy a pop top with good canvas & a nekkid lady (-;?

Any interest in parts? (the interior, motor & CV's are spoken for)

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Shaun