Date:         Tue, 28 May 1996 21:17:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Alistair Bell <ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Hoo Boy! (Was: Corrado Powered Westy Syncro - For

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Miller - James W. wrote:

> Hey all, > Wouldn't a Diesel Westy transmisson be geared way too low to implant a > Corrado motor? Make it work mighty hard. If not I'll put one in my > RADHAUS when the old diesel dies! > > Jim MIller > 83 diesel westy RADHAUS >

I don't think the problem is too low gearing, in fact I bet the G60 motor would love to be running at 3500-4800 rpm. Its more a problem of where the max torque and hp comes. If you have to wind out the motor to accel the heavy old westy, it becomes a bit tiresome after a while. I think it would be more sensible and rewarding to tailor the powerplant to the real job at hand, that is a motor with a torque curve that increases early and peaks soon.

G60s are prolly better suited to being dropped into old sciroccos rather than vanagons.

I'm just approaching 2 years and about 30,000 miles on my "1800 8v into '82 diesel westy" conversion. Still with the original diesel trans, and yes, I could use an overdrive 5th gear, but these have been trouble free miles and I'm very pleased with the conversion. I still plan on installing one of those adjustable cam gears and try and adjust the torque curve a wee bit.

So far I think the Audi 5 cyl conversion (as done by VW SA) is the most appealling, but perhaps an increased volume 8v is the easiest and most cost effective conversion.

alistair