Date:         Thu, 02 May 1996 11:50:04 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Greetings from Diesel Westfalia owner

Greetings list participants, I just subscribed last night so getting up to speed on some threads may take me a few notes. First let me say that my totally rust free Diesel Westfalia is currently in Orlando Fla, where few cars rust. That doesn't describe all Florida, and in another post I may describe to those interested in buying a totally rust free used Westy, the relevant factors and how they're distributed. I am a genuine diesel fan, and specifically searched for a diesel powered unit. Still, in the three days that I've now actually over-nighted in it, most of my questions are unrelated to diesel specific issues. First, while it's refrigerator cools in the 120 VAC and propane modes that I've tried, I hear a small blower fan intermittantly cycling on and off with disquiting regularity. It occurs to me that I failed to record the periodicity, but I'd guess it's on for 15 seconds, then off for 30 seconds, continuously without regard to which heat source is powering the ammonia/water generator. I'm well familiar with the ammonia/water cooling cycle, and aware of the benefits of increasing air flow over that heat exchanger, but every other RV absorbtion refrigerator I've encountered is designed to generate adequate air flow by including an adequate chimney height to allow the ideal gas laws to do their wonders without noise or distractingly noisy, battery draining thermostatically controlled fans. This is unacceptable to me. Comments? I've other questions, but to enable responses to address specific questions by topic threads well, I'll submit them individually. Thanks ahead for any help and insights. I like other participants bring something to the party, and in my case you may enjoy a very unusual universe of thought and experience. Respectfully, John Wakefield