Date:         Thu, 02 May 1996 12:23:07 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      VW Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual

Greetings, I saw listed for $79.95 in the JC Whitney catalog the Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual. I generally buy all such manuals for vehicles I acquire. So I asked a person who runs a service facility about this, and he called a local dealership for me. He learned that they charge $70.30 "trade wholesale" for it and $84.95 "list." Then I checked a chain book seller. It was interesting to find that their CD based information data base had three different spellings for Volkswagen, and each produced different outputs. Beware if you chase data base info on these machines. That effort showed a listing which is in a print-out before me. The ISBN number that all book sellers will want to locate a volume is 0-8376-0336-6, and their publisher's code was 00003549. This shows yet another price, $89.95. A local dealership employee said they'd disposed of all those manuals as they took too much room and are now on their micro fische. Much anguish. I know JC Whitney often includes catalog wide discount coupons, so their $79.95 becomes less 10% plus shipping. Dealer wholesale is possible, to which tax would be added. These are options. The book sellers discount card price is still uncompetitive. OK, is this the best single book for maintaining and understanding Westfalias? It's supposed to be 1200 pages. If someone has a used copy they'd like to sell, I'm an interested party. Perhaps someone else has some insights into my desire for documentation. If so, please jump in. Thankzzzzzzz, John Wakefield