Date:         Thu, 30 May 1996 13:05:04 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: extractor exhausts

Mark Thomas writes: >Which of the extractor exhaust systems are the most sturdy? I've been >told that there are two manufacturers: S&S and Thunderbird. >If so, which of these is marketed by BugPack, Empi, Rocky Mtn Mtrwrks, >etc.? Both S&S and Thunderbird build good, quality exhaust systems and both of them build right here in USA (So Cal). BugPack & RMMW have their systems mfr'd overseas (Mexico & Taiwan). EMPI has all of their exhausts made in Taiwan as well. BugPack's and RMMW's quality is spotty depending on the product (some of their stuff is made by Pacesetter - creator of the Monza Exhaust Systems to compete with Italy's Ansa). I have been using EMPI's systems for quite some time now on various bugs & buses I've owned (I've only had to return one system because of a mismarked/misboxed mistake). On my 67 21 Wdw Bus I have an EMPI single quiet I've been running for over 4 years. A little surface rust, but that's expected and it's taken care of regularly. Before that, I was running a Thunderbird single quiet for over 7 years. These guys build their systems real tough, but their tailpipe(s) are positioned for a bug, thus potentially causing the "black bumper/rear corner syndrome". So I heated the tailpipe and repositioned it to prevent that. Why don't BugPack, RMMW and EMPI carry S&S or T-Bird? Well, they're not cheap to build in USA and the mark-down/mark-up is poor when buying and reselling their product. So the big guys go outa the country to achieve a better mark-up, but sometimes the quality suffers. I thoroughly check each and every exhaust from EMPI, BugPack and even S&S for potential weld defects before they go out the door because most of 'em are headed back east across the country to replace a customer's rusted-out system. I highly recommend having the exhaust header system "aluminized coated" or some other high heat coating to resist the inevitable rusting. EMPI Dual Quiet for early Type 2 1600 is $89.95 + freight (Oversized).

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com